rules for database link usage

  • From: Jeff C <backseatdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 07:47:36 -0800

What are you rules for using database links in a production application?
 We currently have an application that needs data from another database and
I am torn between having them just use a database link or copying the data
to their database using various methods.
I am leaning towards duplicating the data because I prefer to not have this
database dependent on the other or one causing havoc on the other.  But I
guess if that didn't matter what in general are your rules?

Jeff