RE: rman incremental backups vs. full backups

  • From: <Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jwilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:59:30 -0500

What a mistake?  If you only take one full backup (ever) think how much
longer and more complicated restoring would be.  I try to do full
backups up until the point where my backup window simply won't work.
Then I start considering incremental. =20

Another approach for a large data warehouse where most of your data may
be only loaded once and never changed is to switch those tablespaces to
read-only, perform a full backup (making sure to mark this tape) then to
use the rman close not to backup those readonly tablespaces anymore.  =20