RE: rman: how do you backup the recovery catalog database?

  • From: "Spears, Brian" <BSpears@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Les.Hollis@xxxxxx>, <jhenslee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <carmen.rusu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:03:29 -0500

 We export the catalog schema to a file and backup to tape...for the reason
that if the server blew up  we could import that schema in any other
database and be up and running. Our scripts are set so that if the catalog
blows up ( then we automatically switch to nocatalog.. To ensure backups
keep rolling.) We set the control_file_record_keep_time  parameter to 30  to
enable to recovery up to 30 days back...well past 99.99999 percent we would
need and our SLA's.

Cheers,
Brian