RE: rman equivalent of sqlplus whenever error instruction

  • From: "Amit Verma (IT - Otterbase)" <averma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pjhoraclel@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:51:38 -0400

It is actually an RMAN feature
(http://jkstill.blogspot.com/2010/02/cool-but-unknown-rman-feature.html)
that even if there is a connection error to the catalog, the backup will
continue and use the control file instead of the catalog database. This
guarantees that you always have a backup even if catalog is not
available and once you fix the connection issues, all you need to do is
to resync the catalog or it does that automatically during next backup.

To avoid re-running the job by itself, you can do a "grep -v" on the
ORA- "that you don't want to consider as errors" and report the job as
successful to the scheduler so it doesn't re-start the job.

HTH,
-Amit Verma