RE: rman centralized backup server

  • From: Graeme.Farmer@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:52:11 +1000

Hi Paula,
I created a 10G catalog and successfully registered an 8i, 9i and a 10G
database in the same catalog so backwards compatability is likely to be OK
(haven't checked the compat matrix, but this makes sense anyway).

Interestingly, compared with previous catalog versions, the list
incarnation command shows only the currently selected database instead of
showing all incarnations for all databases as it does in 8i/9i catalog.
Makes it easier to see relevant information if you have a central RMAN
catalog with many databases accessing it.

oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: /oracle/dba
> r rman
rman target / catalog rman/********@recman

Recovery Manager: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production

RMAN-06005: connected to target database: ORA817 (DBID=1647840552)
RMAN-06008: connected to recovery catalog database

RMAN> list incarnation;

RMAN-03022: compiling command: list

List of Database Incarnations
DB Key  Inc Key DB Name  DB ID            CUR Reset SCN  Reset Time
------- ------- -------- ---------------- --- ---------- ----------
2956    2957    ORA817   1647840552       YES 1          30-DEC-02

RMAN> exit

Recovery Manager complete.
oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: /oracle/dba
> r rman
rman target / catalog rman/********@recman

Recovery Manager: Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production

Copyright (c) 1995, 2002, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

connected to target database: GFPRD (DBID=3426791695)
connected to recovery catalog database
list in
RMAN> carnation;

List of Database Incarnations
DB Key  Inc Key DB Name  DB ID            CUR Reset SCN  Reset Time
------- ------- -------- ---------------- --- ---------- ----------
25      26      GFPRD    3426791695       YES 16911605   08-MAY-04

RMAN> exit

Graeme Farmer

<Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
16/09/2004 01:52 AM
Please respond to
Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<Graeme.Farmer@xxxxxxxxxx>
cc
<oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
<thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
RE: rman centralized backup server

Me too Graeme.  It is the Oracle rman binaries which sometimes required
the same (and not a higher version).  So I have the following:

In fact, what I do is call this in all my KSHELL scripts for backups and
recoveries and based on the database it handles the Oracle homes and (if
necessary) catalog with a different RMANID string.  It works and once I
set it up for the databases (at initial install) I don't have to modify. I
just copy my backup script and change the $DBNAME variable and I am done.

case $DBNAME in
"ods") INTERNAL=user/pass

ORACLE_SID=ods

TARGET=user/pass

ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0

RMANID= <mailto:RMANID=user/pass@rmanconnectstring>
user/pass@rmanconnectstring

;;

"empidev") INTERNAL=user/pass

ORACLE_SID=empidev

TARGET=user/pass

ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0

RMANID= <mailto:RMANID=user/pass@rmanconnectstring>
user/pass@rmanconnectstring

;;

[Stankus, Paula G]  -----Original Message-----

information. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the
sender and delete the transmission. The contents of this e-mail are the opinion
of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of companies unless
expressly stated otherwise.