Re: rman catalog

  • From: Chris King <ckaj111@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 12:40:36 -0700

Okay, so I'm told that this command he used to restore a single archivelog from
the database, which uses the rman catalog, even though the archivelog no longer
existed on disk.:

RMAN> run {
    ALLOCATE CHANNEL c1 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT = ‘/tmp/<location>';
   RESTORE ARCHIVELOG FROM SEQUENCE 128458 UNTIL SEQUENCE 128510;
   RELEASE CHANNEL c1;
   }

This still makes no sense to me. Is it possible that rman reconstructs an
archive log based on sequence information in the catalog?

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 11:42 AM, Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At this point the archivelog would be marked as EXPIRED by crosscheck. You are
right in that the catalog only contains metadata. If the archivelog file itself
has been deleted and you don't have a backup or copy, then it's likely that you
won't be able to get it back.

Perhaps your DBA friend meant he could restore it from a backup that was also
cataloged. The catalog itself is more or less just an index.

Don.

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 8:53 AM, Chris King <ckaj111@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

If an archivelog has been physically removed from a system, but there's
metadata in the rman catalog for that log, can it be restored from the catalog?
I thought the catalog contained only the metadata, but a dba just told me he
could restore from the catalog, even though the file was no longer available on
the system.

--
Don Seiler
http://www.seiler.us