Re: rman catalog

  • From: "Jeffrey Beckstrom" <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ckaj111@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 10:02:40 -0400

The RMAN catalog contains a pointer to where RMAN backed up the archive log
file to (tape or disk). The actual log file is not stored in RMAN.

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Lead Database Administrator
Information Technology Department
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

>>> Chris King <ckaj111@xxxxxxxx> 9/16/14 9:53 AM >>>
If an archivelog has been physically removed from a system, but there's
metadata in the rman catalog for that log, can it be restored from the catalog?
I thought the catalog contained only the metadata, but a dba just told me he
could restore from the catalog, even though the file was no longer available on
the system.

This is Oracle version 11.2.

Thanks!

.