RE: rman backups

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <MFontana@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <goran00@xxxxxxxxx>, <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 09:28:12 -0500

While I don't have any production databases running in NOarchivelog at the
present time, I actually found one, which had been setup by a vendor
consultant, and just switched it over very recently.  Except for an export
(which failed quite a bit), this database ran totally unprotected.

How does management allow this?  By hiring a subject matter expert (in this
case, a vendor consultant) who knows alot about an application but nothing
about databases.  It was his job to "get it running", not to consider the
database or recoverability.  After all, he would be long gone before such
issues came up.  How did it keep running in this fashion?  No one wanted to
touch it, and management didn't support anyone messing with it, and the even 5
minutes of downtime it eventually took to do the work.

I eventually overcame this when a datacenter outage caused the server to be
down.  I was so sure archivelogging was the right thing to do, I implemented
it, and then just told management it was done in my next status report.  I used
their resistance to change to my advantage - if they would not allow an outage
to turn it on, they now could not justify, with their own line of thinking, an
outage to turn it back off.

I call this style of management "misapplication of the facts".  Or the "if no
one's complaining but the DBA, then it ain't broke" concept.  I run into it
alot.  It's the "A" in dba that causes me to resist!

Good luck with your problem...

Michael Fontana
NTT/Verio
Senior Database Administrator