rman - backup plus archivelog

  • From: "Schauss, Peter (ESS)" <peter.schauss@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 15:03:40 +0000

Oracle 11.2.0.1.0 on AIX 5.3

I am backing up a database with rman in nocatalog mode.

When I tried to test my backups using the rman DUPLICATE command I got a
message that the backup contained no archivelogs.  The information on Metalink
suggested using the command BACKUP DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG.  When I ran that
rman asked for
all of the archivelogs created since the database was created (luckily only a
week and a half ago).  This despite the fact that that I had been backing it up
daily without the PLUS ARCHIVELOG option.

Now that rman has backed up the archivelogs, what will determine which ones it
asks for the next time I run it?

Ideally all that I need to restore a backup is the archivelogs which were
created during and after the backup.

Thanks,
Peter Schauss