Re: rm RULE based optimizer != GOOD IDEA

  • From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Post, Ethan" <Ethan.Post@xxxxxx>, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:04:24 +0300

Khe, khe You didn't do the quoting precisely, I didn't say "can't wait
until <hint name here> hint is removed", though I did say "I'm
planning to allow [for our developed applications] if blabla...".
That's a bit different.

Of course it is the problem of review process. But we are not alone
here I think.

But the main problem what I wanted to explain with that was: that our
developer didn't know HOW RBO worked, he simply tried several hints
and that one appeared to work. And while for example Hash join or
Index hint is more or less easier to understand, RBO is more
complicated and hides more sunken rocks.
Just my thoughts here...

Gints