RE: rm RULE based optimizer != GOOD IDEA

  • From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 06:40:08 -0700 (PDT)

What will be the life of one Oracle DBA/Developer
without the cost based optimizer?

The cost based optimizer make things more interesting.

The outcome of that optimizer is, what Oracle saying,
just write SQL whatever way, our optimizer will do the
rest. He is smart, the best, just give us proper
statistics. Of course that proper statistics are not
possible to describe in one big book. You need to find
out how to collect them, how to not harm them and so
on.

This is the way 1000 of developers in Oracle has
enough work to do, 10000 of DBA's to do tuning in much
more interesting way and so on.

I spent last few weeks fighting with the CBO
optimizer, tweaking the statistics, forcing it to do
the best, then at the end putting the simple hint
solving the issue.

But you cannot compare the pleasure of solving the
problem CBO way and easy pragmatic hint way :)

It is the way choosen by Oracle we need all to follow
and nothing else.

I am still trying to do my best with CBO, but it looks
Oracle will need a lot of hints for a long time.
They are getting rid of hints from release 8 without
success, as me saying I am leaving IT work for many
years.

http://mail.yahoo.com