Re: restore datafile to standby database

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ujang Jaenudin" <ujang.jaenudin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 22:56:46 -0500

On 2/20/07, Ujang Jaenudin <ujang.jaenudin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you are asking for raw devices - Oracle will restore datafile
> directly on your raw device providing you renamed it (SET NEW NAME in
> RMAN before restore and recovery or ALTER DATABASE in SQL*Plus). It's
> common practice to use soft links to raw devices - this way you can
> have the same path on standby.

you mean oracle will be replaced the raw by new file through RMAN?
I asking this for sure, and how to check? from alert log? or where?

That's right. You will see in RMAN restore output if there are no
error. Make sure you rename datafile correctly or have correct link in
place.

> By the way, there is one flaw with your implementation. Since your
> primary is on FS - it's easy to add new datafile without a single
> thought about standby.

ya i put  standby_file_management=MANUAL, so whatever changes to the db
structur, i have to re-execute command for standby to match with raw.

> If on standby you don't create respective raw
> device - it will stuck. If you have raw devices on both primary and
> standby - there are less chances that you forget raw device on standby
> but still.

you mean can I put standby_file_management=AUTO? and how about db structure
changes?
i think at least the raw on standby should be configured same as primary....

you have to make sure that either your files are not autoextended or
your raw devices have enough reserve. Also, before before adding new
datafile on primary - prepare the raw device and possibly right link
for it.

I suggest to review Oracle dosc on Standby - they are actually quite
good and answer a lot of questions.

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev