Re: restore datafile to standby database

  • From: "Ujang Jaenudin" <ujang.jaenudin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:07:22 +0700

On 2/20/07, Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

nologging issue and raw devices have nothing to do with each other.

If you are asking for raw devices - Oracle will restore datafile
directly on your raw device providing you renamed it (SET NEW NAME in
RMAN before restore and recovery or ALTER DATABASE in SQL*Plus). It's
common practice to use soft links to raw devices - this way you can
have the same path on standby.

you mean oracle will be replaced the raw by new file through RMAN?
I asking this for sure, and how to check? from alert log? or where?

By the way, there is one flaw with your implementation. Since your
primary is on FS - it's easy to add new datafile without a single
thought about standby.

ya i put  standby_file_management=MANUAL, so whatever changes to the db
structur, i have to re-execute command for standby to match with raw.

If on standby you don't create respective raw
device - it will stuck. If you have raw devices on both primary and
standby - there are less chances that you forget raw device on standby
but still.

you mean can I put standby_file_management=AUTO? and how about db structure
changes?
i think at least the raw on standby should be configured same as primary....

In my experience, opposite setup works much better - raw devices on
primary and filesystem on standby.

can use standby_file_management=AUTO and how about changes with db
structure?

regards
Ujang
dba@indonesia