Re: rename a clustered node

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew.Kerber@xxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:52:55 -0400

I've done it but it's not supported generally.
The way to do that is to rerun part of root.sh removing certain files
in advance. You will also need to edit hostnames there.
Next you will need to add all the resources from scratch, vip configugation.
In the end you will need to hack you inventory to update node names.
I don't have details with me now but I have it in my 'to blog' list
for a while so it should make it there soon.

On 4/17/07, Kerber, Andrew W. <Andrew.Kerber@xxxxxxx> wrote:
We have another rac project going, and we are preparing to take it live
in the next month or so.  However, at the start of the project we named
the nodes new-{nodename1} and new-{nodename2} (not the real names
obviousely) and now we want to change the name of those nodes to just
{nodename1} and {nodename2}.  I put in a service request w/ oracle on
how to change the names.  Oracles response was to remove each node and
add it under a new name.  Well, the notes they give for taking a node
out of a cluster involve completely uninstalling and removing the
clusterware also.

My question is, has anyone managed to successfully rename a clustered
node without taking it out of the cluster and adding back in under a new
name?  Or at least without uninstalling clusterware? If so, how did you
do it?

Solaris 64
Oracle 10gR2 Clusterware.

Andrew W. Kerber
Senior Oracle DBA
UMB

NOTICE:  This electronic mail message and any attached files are
confidential.  The information is exclusively for the use of the individual
or entity intended as the recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient,
any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution
or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this electronic mail message in
error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies
of this message from your computer system. Thank you.

Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev

http://www.oracloid.com