RE: remove duplicates

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <my.oralce@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:33:05 -0400

Anupam,

       You say that your loading from files, which I think probably
means your loading via sql*loader of some other similar application.  If
that is so then keeping the constraint enabled will cause that
application to see the error and possibly handle it in a different
manner.  Now if the application, like sql*loader can't handle that and
load into a different table, then inserting through a load view with an
instead of trigger may be the best option since the instead of trigger
can have an exception handler for when the PK is violated moving the
data to the exceptions table.  Using the "alter constraint ...
exceptions into" syntax does not move any rows, it simply loads the
rowid's of the errant data into the exceptions table & leaves the
constraint disabled.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International