RE: reference cursors

  • From: <Stephen.Lee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:04:59 -0600

After playing around some, it looks like when the select is opened via a
refcursor, the hints don't work.  If I create a global temporary table, have
the select table dump its load into the temporary table, then open the
refcursor as select * from the temporary table, everything moves right along
again.  In more detail (because I'm playing around with this stuff): I
created a row type, then created a table type, then create a variable of
that table type; then do a bulk select into the table type variable.  Now I
wish to hell there was a way to pass a pointer to that table type variable
as the refcursor, but I couldn't figure out a way.  So I did a loop to
insert the rows of the table type variable into the temporary table; then do
the refcursor on the temporary table.  I don't know if I will actually
suggest this as a "solution". It's kind of Rube Goldberg-y and is bound to
complicate application maintenance .. which is the last thing in the world
this application needs.

Anybody got any better ideas (other than re-write the app)?  If there is a
way to pass a pointer to the table type variable without having to use the
temporary table gadget, I'm all ears.