redo curiosity

  • From: Maureen English <maureen.english@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:17:31 -0900

We have an Oracle 8i database and an Oracle 10g database that
currently both serve the same purpose.  We're moving off the
8i to the 10g, just not as quickly as we'd hoped.

The two databases have the same accounts and the same jobs
running against them...both are reporting instance databases,
so users do very little in terms of creating and updating
anything.  The 2 databases have the same materialized views
with the same nightly refreshes done at the same time each
night...if the materialized view in one database is done with
a fast refresh, that's how it's done in the other database.

Both databases have the same size redo logs, but the 10g
database ends up with 2-3 times as many archive logs as the
8i database.

I'm looking at the database parameters to see what's so
different...any other suggestions as to why the 10g database
would be generating so much more redo?

- Maureen