Re: recover rman backup

  • From: Andy Klock <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jpatterson@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:17:07 -0400

Oliver,
With an inconsistent RMAN backup, (i.e. backup while the database is up)
each datafile backed up will correspond to a different SCN.  For example,
the datafile backed up at 23:00 will have an SCN of 1000, while the last
datafile backed up seven hours later will have an SCN of 1100.

An RMAN restore takes the datafiles from the backup files and places them
on disk.  It is the RMAN recover that uses archive logs to bring all the
other datafiles up to that last SCN (1100 in my example).  This makes the
database consistent. Without the archive logs during the time of the
backup, the backup is pretty much useless.

So for your recovery, you'll need to copy over those archive logs to the
target and give it another go.

Good luck!

Andy