read by other session

  • From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 08:36:28 -0500

My interpretation on this is that multiple sessions are trying to read the
same block. Oracle can only let 1 person read the same block and makes the
other sessions wait. Is this correct?

We have the same queries that regularly run in concurrency. now we are
getting performance problems with a wait of "read by other sessions'. My
take on it is that now multiple users are running the same query with
similiar parameters. Where in the past they may have run the same query, but
with different parameters so we did not get read by other session.

when I run the query in sqlplus it returns quickly with minimal read by
other session waits, but users in the application frequently have to wait 45
seconds. My take on this is that at the moment I run the query, i am not
querying the exact same blocks as other people.

Is that how I interpret read by other sessions? Yes I have traced sessions
and AWR, but now I need to interpret my results.