re NOLOGGING -- was re RE: ORA-1578...block corrupted...error is normal...a block...had a NOLOGGING...operation performed against

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Hemant K Chitale" <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:03:53 +0800

um.
The lines

When an object is NOLOGGING is used in the CREATE statement, it is the actual first load that the create does
that is NOLOGGING.  All subsequent DML is logged.
are meant to say the the first data load is NOLOGed.  All subsequent *regular* DML is logged.  That doesn't mean
that operations that NOLOGGING supports are LOGged.
I was differentiating a CREATE <LOGGING> from a CREATE NOLOGGING.
  Thus
   a)  CREATE TABLE x AS SELECT * FROM y     ==> Everything Logged
   b)  CREATE TABLE x AS SELECT * FROM y NOLOGGING ==> only Data Dictionary updates are Logged
   c)  In either of the above, ALTER TABLE NOLOGGING ==> subsequent operations that support NOLOGging are NOLOGged

I also referenced Note 147474.1 in my email to specifically list the operations that support NOLOGging.
{except that I inadvertently typed 17474.1 in that email}

Direct Path Loads (APPEND Hint) aren't exactly the same  as the example a) above ---- they actually update the HWM first and directly
format data blocks.

Hemant
At 05:05 AM Wednesday, Allen, Brandon wrote:
Hemant,

Where in the documentation do you see a description of this different treatment of the NOLOGGING clause for CREATE vs. ALTER statements?

My understanding from the documentation, including that which you have included in your email below, is that when specifying NOLOGGING during either the CREATE or ALTER of an object, the creation/alteration of the object as well as any future direct loads/inserts are minimally logged.  If you see something contrary to this in the documentation, please provide a link.

Thanks,
Brandon

P.S.  in case anyone else tries to look it up - the correct Metalink note # is 147474.1