Re: raid 5 disaster

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 08:20:42 -0700

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 18:32, Rachel Carmichael wrote:
> My rule for documenting procedures is that it has to be clear enough
> for either my mother or father to be able to follow the instructions
> WITHOUT my being there to guide them.
>
> Leads to some VERY detailed, very simplistic instructions but no data
> center I have ever worked with has complained.

Sorry, I disagree. If they want instructions that are that
detailed, with what to do in each case where something
didn't work as expected for some unforeseen reason, they
can hire someone to read Robert Freeman's recovery book,
the concepts manuals, and generally do my job.

What I meant by assumed knowledge, are such things as 'setup
connectivity to the Oracle RMAN repository, the auxiliary
database and the target database'.

I always rebel at writing documentation that is that
detailed. By the time it includes everything you might
need to know, you've rewritten the manual.

There were lots of detailed steps included for the
database cloning operation (cloned from tape, to
test the recovery of the database) as those are
some pretty non-standard steps.

Jared