rac workaround question : might be silly

  • From: "Singh, Ratnesh (GEI, GEFA, Contractor)" <Ratnesh.Singh@xxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 18:40:34 -0400

I am new to rac, hence please forgive if this question is really silly =
!!

Lets assume that we have to move a 64 bit db having a huge sga to 32 bit =
linux rac.
Using 32 bit raises the problem of > 4gb sga allocation.=20

Assuming that we do not use the "hugemem" or "VLM shmfs/ramfs" memory =
options=20
on linux RH AS3, and want to use the maximum amount of physical ram on =
one box,=20
is the following RAC work-around practical from a performance =
perspective ?=20

To workaround the limitation of ~4gb sga per instance, what if we create =
multiple=20
instances on the same physical box .=20

Hence if i have a 2 box RAC cluster, and i create 2 instances on each =
box,=20
( my_total_sga for 1 database =3D 2 box * 2 instances * =
max_sga_per_instance )
This effectively can double the amount of total ram i can allocate to my =
database.

Please advise if this assumption is correct and practical.

thanks & regards
ratnesh

GE-Financial Assurance
Lynchburg, VA