RE: quick linux memory question

  • From: "Cunningham, Mike" <mcunningham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JSweetser@xxxxxxxx" <JSweetser@xxxxxxxx>, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 11:43:03 -0700

Hi Joe, 252 GB is a respectable amount of memory and like Kenny said you should
consider using Huge Pages (set in the /etc/sysctl.conf using the
vm.nr_hugepages parameter).  If this were my environment I would be leaving
around 48GB to the operating system and I would configure the remaining 204GB
for huge pages.  In that case I would be setting the following in
/etc/sysctl.conf

kernel.shmmax = 219043332096
kernel.shmall = 66060288
vm.nr_hugepages = 104448

Also, I would be setting the following in /etc/security/limits.conf
oracle  soft    memlock                 213909504
oracle  hard    memlock                 213909504

kernel.shmmax is the maximum size of a single shared memory segment (what
oracle SGA uses) and is represented in bytes.
kernel.shmall is the size of shared memory segments in pages.  I set this
number based on the total size of available RAM.  You have 252GB.  The shmall
should be calculated using 4096KB page size of the system.  So, 252 GB =
270582939648 bytes / 4096 = 66060288 pages.

I will email you my Virtual Memory Calculator spreadsheet privately.  It makes
it easier and, so far, has never failed me.

Michael Cunningham
Senior Database Administrator
The Doctors' Company
707.226.0221 - desk