Re: quick FK question

  • From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:10:33 +0200

Yep, it seems that my example is not correct.
On the other hand for such fake rows one has to complete some values
in NOT NULL columns (I don't speak only about FK columns). Usually
they are some fake values, too. As soon as fake value becomes normal
business value problems might arise.
I'd personally better deall with NULLs because this is WIDELY
understand concept both by developers and DBMSes compared to some
specific value representing NULL, which is -1 for project1, 0 for
project2 and 187913267532 for project3.
But as more time goes by I'm more able to accept "never say never" thingy :)

Gints