Re: question regarding statistics

  • From: jungwolf <spatenau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L (E-mail)" <Oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:46:48 -0600

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 13:38:59 -0500, Mladen Gogala
<mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bryan Wells wrote:
>
> >i may have asked this once before, so if it is indeed redundant i appologize:
> >
> >is there a difference in analyze and compute statistics?
> >

> You probably mean whether there is adifference between DBMS_STATS and
> analyze. There are several,
> differences and we can divide them in two groups:
<snip>

Analyze validate structure populates the index_stats table.  At this
point (9.2 for me), does that table give any information that can't be
found through dbms_stats or some other, "modern" method?

Also, dbms_stats doesn't gather a number of stats like: EMPTY_BLOCKS,
AVG_SPACE, CHAIN_CNT.

Browsing through metalink with the document Mladen suggested as a
starting point should get you far more information than you really
wanted.

Steven