Re: primary from standby

  • From: Adric Norris <landstander668@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Howard Latham <howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 10:00:04 -0500

Not really, a snapshot standby is just a temporary divergence. It allows
you to open the standby database read/write for testing, and then discards
all changes (by flashing back to a guaranteed restore point) once you
convert back to physical standby. In addition, log shipping is still
performed while in snapshot standby mode, so all changes should be
available locally for immediate application once the re-conversion is
complete.

The main risk is that failover will require significantly more time, in the
unfortunate event that one is required while the database is still in
snapshot standby mode. This is unavoidable since the standby has to be
flashed back (which is generally pretty fast), followed by applying all of
the deferred updates (timeframe is workload dependent).

In my case the risk was deemed acceptable, and the standby only had about 3
hours worth of logs to catch-up at the end of the process... only took
about 20 minutes to get back in sync.

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Howard Latham <howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

funnily enought im doing 11.2.01 to 11.2.04 wouldnt converting it mean
I would no longer have a standby?

On 5 June 2015 at 14:48, Adric Norris <landstander668@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Since it sounds like you already have a physical standby, have you
considered converting it to snapshot standby to test the upgrade? I did
this
a few days ago for an 11.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.4 upgrade test, and it worked
like
a charm.

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 3:44 AM, Howard Latham <howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Oracle 11
RH Enter 4

I need a separate copy of my primary db to test an upgrade.

I have copied the standby and got it running on another box and
successfully applied redio logs

however what I do - alter database activate standby database

results in

ora-01547 recover succeeded but open resetlogs would get error below

ora-01194 file1 needs more recovery to be consist ant.

what am I a missing here please

we have successfully switched over to the original standby a few times
for dr testing.

--
Howard A. Latham

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people
very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

--
Howard A. Latham