poor clob performance with very high CPU

  • From: Josh Collier <Josh.Collier@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 11:30:25 -0800

Solaris 10 update 4 on SPARC
 10.2.0.1

All,

I have a CTAS that involves a CLOB. The expected duration of this process is
180 minutes. Recently it started taking > 5 hours. The data and rowcounts are
very similar, the trace shows only CPU consumption and very little else. I am
wondering if you guys have any insight into how to diagnose a clob performance
issue where the only information I have is excessive CPU consumption.

The execution paths have not changed. These are staging tables and they never
have statistics as we always want full tablescans. The tablespaces underlying
the tables/clobs have not changed.  They are local  ASSM with uniform extent
sizes of 128k.

Thanks for your time,

Josh C.