RE: perl and dba

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 09:31:33 -0600 (CST)

David writes:

> Something "pro" for perl that hasn't been mentioned directly (as a must for
> DBAs) is efficiency for row processing.

I especially like the "sysseek" implementation that I use in my log checker
that quickly skips over the start of the file that I don't want to process.

And my perl script needed two lines changed and one "if" block to handle
running properly on Windows from being developed solely on Unix.

I don't have much python to compare to perl, but Gentoo's Portage package
(in python) has the earmarks of being inefficient as CPU and disk both go
full-tilt during management operations, especially if a large historical
repository is maintained.  If I get bored, I may have to convert my log
checker to py someday...

Rich