RE: performance. 7 queries independent queries takes 3s with union all in view 98s

  • From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "jcdrpllist@xxxxxxxxx" <jcdrpllist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 14:30:48 +0000

Joining the party a bit late, so someone may already have made the following
comment:

If you have a query: select from VIEW where "predicate" then Oracle may not be
able to push the predicate inside the view to apply it to each individual
branch, whereas if you "test each branch" separately you are manually doing
that type of predicate push.

It gets more complicated for non-trivial branches in the view, of course, and,
as Iggy points out, without seeing the execution plan for the query (and,
ideally, the key features of the query text) we can have no idea what the
difference is between your testing and the optimizer mechanics.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com
@jloracle
________________________________
From: mark.powell2@xxxxxxx
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
in view 98s
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 13:26:05 +0000

Have you checked the last_analyzed date for the tables and indexes involved in
this query? Perhaps running dbms_stats with 100% sample size might be an
option.

Posting the full SQL and plan is necessary for anyone to really provided target
suggestions.

Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 18:20:58 -0400
in view 98s
From: jcdrpllist@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:jcdrpllist@xxxxxxxxx>
To: mvshelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:mvshelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>;
oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thank you

To try I doubled the pga_aggregate_target, and it didn't fixed, in theory I
should reduce the memory because hash happens when there is a lot of memory, as
I remember.

So I tried to reduce the pga_aggregate_target and memory_target and the problem
is the same.

Based on the article of Iggy I added the hint

/*+ NO_QUERY_TRANSFORMATION */ and nothing.

disables alter system set "_optimizer_cost_based_transformation" = off ;

I remember it was of no use but I tried too
alter system set "_optimizer_max_permutations"=3000;

and either, any idea is welcome, thank you :)

<mvshelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:mvshelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>:

If your hash joins are slower are you sorting to disk, if so you may need to
increase your pga.

Matt

Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 11:47:18 -0400
Subject: performance. 7 queries independent queries takes 3s with union all in
view 98s
From: jcdrpllist@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:jcdrpllist@xxxxxxxxx>
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello if you can help please

I found something very interesting, I tested two times to be sure. 11.2.0.3

There is a view having 7 queries joined with union all

query1

union all

query2

union all

When executed in the view all 7 takes 98s
If in the same view I put only one query at a time I get 3s total, the query is
unchanged

The problem is using a hash join instead of nested loops

1 1.38s
2 0.04s
3 1.11s
4 0.05s