Re: pdksh on CentOS -5

  • From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 20:28:41 +0200

Ravi, the issue with CentOS 5 is, that 11gR2 OUI tries to determine, whether given operating system is one of certified on centos 5 this code path goes a little bit wrong, so the installer thinks, it would be redhat 4 or alike (thus , pdksh requirement)

in particular, verification check for RH5 is somewhat like
rpm -q redhat-release-5Server

On the centos 5 this package is missing, instead there is similar package centos-release-5-5.el5.centos with following contents:
/etc/issue
/etc/issue.net
/etc/pki/rpm-gpg
/etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
/etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-beta
/etc/redhat-release
/etc/sysconfig/rhn
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources
/etc/yum.repos.d
/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Media.repo
/usr/share/doc/centos-release-5
/usr/share/doc/centos-release-5/EULA
/usr/share/doc/centos-release-5/GPL
/usr/share/doc/centos-release-5/autorun-template
/usr/share/eula/eula.en_US
/usr/share/firstboot/modules/eula.py
/usr/share/firstboot/modules/eula.pyc
/usr/share/firstboot/modules/eula.pyo

So to fool the installer (but still not preventing it to do all the rest of checks) one can
1) download a source rpm from redhat
http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/ build and install with --nodeps (after that, original centos rpm can be reinstalled) 2) build a simple dummy rpm with this name ( as only rpm name actually will be queried) - i did it with following spec file:
cat redhat-release-5Server-5.4.0.3.spec
Name: redhat-release
Version: 5Server
Release: 5.4.0.3
Group: System Environment/Base
License: Beerware
BuildArch: i386

%description

This meta-package fools other packages to think you have redhat-release installed

%files

After that, oui checks (at least on my test server) the packages as it would do on RHEL 5 and not RHEL 4 and all requirements can be met without installing fully useless pdksh package.

Best regards

Maxim

On 04.06.2010 12:16, Ravi Madabhushanam wrote:
Hello All,

I'm trying to install 11gR2 and Application server on CentOS 5.2 server. During 11gR2 installation OUI complained about pdksh not being installed. This rpm is not present in the default rpm list in MOS. After raising an Oracle SR , analyst confirmed that it is not needed.

Also AS installation is complaining about openmotif21 rpm along with pdksh. But I can find openmotif22 on the installation media . Did anyone faced these issues? or am I missing something critical here. Also why am I supposed to install pdksh when we already have ksh installed as part of pre-req's.

Thanks you very much.

Regards,
~Ravi.M