RE: passwords (a bit of a rant)

  • From: "Freeman, Donald CONT (ABL)" <Donald.Freeman.ctr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l-freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 16:49:00 -0400

Oracle's implementation of passwords is very problematic.  Oracle has a lot
of technology of various generations and origins that have incompatible
password implementations. That means the password rules for common users
have to be set for the most primitive component of the system.
I would also say that the level of resistance to hardening systems is high
and the level of compliance is low.  It is difficult to operate systems
securely without having outages solely caused by password issues.

If it was easy, everybody would change all the passwords when a privileged
employee departed. How often does that happen?   I would go on a rant also
but it's the end of the day ....