Re: password going to expire

  • From: Ryan January <rjjanuary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mccdba1@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 11:34:45 -0500

I was able to recreate the issue (ORA-28002) and feel your password has
*already* expired and you've entered the grace period.  In the below
test note that I set the grace period for a non standard 10 days.
At this point you should probably reset the user's password.  Once that
is completed you will find that the new password will not have an
expiration.

SQL> drop user testuser1;

User dropped.

SQL> drop profile testprof1;

Profile dropped.

SQL> create profile testprof1 limit PASSWORD_LIFE_TIME 1;

Profile created.

SQL> create user testuser1 identified by password1 profile testprof1;

User created.

SQL> alter profile testprof1 limit password_grace_time 10;

Profile altered.

SQL> select resource_name, limit from dba_profiles where profile=
'TESTPROF1';

RESOURCE_NAME             LIMIT
-------------------------------- ----------------------------------------
COMPOSITE_LIMIT          DEFAULT
SESSIONS_PER_USER         DEFAULT
CPU_PER_SESSION          DEFAULT
CPU_PER_CALL             DEFAULT
LOGICAL_READS_PER_SESSION     DEFAULT
LOGICAL_READS_PER_CALL         DEFAULT
IDLE_TIME             DEFAULT
CONNECT_TIME             DEFAULT
PRIVATE_SGA             DEFAULT
FAILED_LOGIN_ATTEMPTS         DEFAULT
PASSWORD_LIFE_TIME         1

RESOURCE_NAME             LIMIT
-------------------------------- ----------------------------------------
PASSWORD_REUSE_TIME         DEFAULT
PASSWORD_REUSE_MAX         DEFAULT
PASSWORD_VERIFY_FUNCTION     DEFAULT
PASSWORD_LOCK_TIME         DEFAULT
PASSWORD_GRACE_TIME         10

16 rows selected.

SQL> alter profile testprof1 limit password_life_time 1/86400; -- set
password expiration for 1 second

Profile altered.

SQL> select username, account_status,expiry_date from dba_users where
username = 'TESTUSER1';

USERNAME               EXPIRY_DATE
------------------------------ ------------------

TESTUSER1               04-SEP-12

SQL> grant connect to testuser1;

Grant succeeded.

SQL> exit
Disconnected from Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release
11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, Real Application Clusters, Automatic Storage
Management, OLAP,
Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

$ rlwrap sqlplus testuser1/password1

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.3.0 Production on Tue Sep 4 11:23:15 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2011, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

ERROR:
ORA-28002: the password will expire within 10 days

$ rlwrap sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.3.0 Production on Tue Sep 4 11:24:31 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2011, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, Real Application Clusters, Automatic Storage
Management, OLAP,
Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

SQL> alter profile testprof1 limit password_life_time unlimited;

Profile altered.

SQL> exit
Disconnected from Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release
11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, Real Application Clusters, Automatic Storage
Management, OLAP,
Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

$ rlwrap sqlplus testuser1/password1

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.3.0 Production on Tue Sep 4 11:25:01 2012

$

On 09/04/2012 11:12 AM, dba1 mcc wrote:
> Enter user-name: system
> Enter password:
> ERROR:
> ORA-28002: the password will expire within 1 days
>

> Connected to:
> Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production
> With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options
>
> SQL> set linesize 132
> SQL> Select username,profile,expiry_date
>    2  From dba_users
>    3  Where username = 'USER1';
>
> USERNAME                       PROFILE                        EXPIRY_DA
> ------------------------------ ------------------------------ ---------
> USER1                                DEFAULT                        05-SEP-12
>
> SQL>
> SQL>
> SQL> alter profile default limit PASSWORD_LIFE_TIME unlimited;
>
> Profile altered.
>
> SQL>
> SQL> Select username,profile,expiry_date
>    2  From dba_users
>    3  Where username = 'USER1';
>
> USERNAME                       PROFILE                        EXPIRY_DA
> USER1                                DEFAULT                        05-SEP-12

This email is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may
contain information that is confidential, proprietary, or both.
If you receive this email in error please immediately notify the
sender and delete the email.