partitioned Views - Union All

  • From: "Suresh Chaganti" <chaganti.suresh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:54:42 -0500

Hello

I may have to move some historical data to a different database, while
retaining flexbillity to query on demand.

Partitioned Views seem to be perfect option with UNION ALL views where the
optimizer is smart about not going to remote DB if it doesnt need to.

But I am concerned about Rule Set for Union All view which practically
defeats the whole purpose.

More confusing is Oracle's statement to use partitioned Tables starting from
Oracle 8 instead of Partition views. In the scenario I described above,
obviously partitioned view is the way to go.

Here is the link for any one interested
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A58617_01/server.804/a58246/distrib.htm#8451

Has any one implemented this feature. Please respond with any tips, hidden
parameters

thanks
Suresh