partioning

  • From: <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 07:25:23 -0500

Someone has requested that we cost out some thing including portioning and
suggested that to get the "performance benefit out of partitioning you needed
separate physical disks".

It would be 11.2.0.3, we use a SAN, and have a variety of RAID groups including
10, 5, and 6.   I don't expect this to ever get to that size, right now it is
about 100Gb, but size hasn't been discussed yet.  (we are meeting in the
future).

I wonder just how much data is needed to realize a cost/benefit, and other
considerations such as channels etc., and basically, is that true and accurate?
  I have asked him for some supporting docs.

I remember hearing that raw disks could give you 10% more -- until you dug a
little further and realize that you would need about a Terabyte of data to
realize such an improvement - in reality.

Any comments or experience is appreciated, (including supporting docs if handy).

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 727-2546