Re: parallel select

  • From: Greg Rahn <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:05:07 -0700

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 2:42 PM, <genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am watching a very long select * from a tables with about 500mil rows. It
> runs under oracle 10.2.0.3 for hours how. The table is about 35-40G
> and the app team needs to dump it into a flat file. My DB block size is 8K,
> the extent size (this is a LMTS) is 300M.

That is quite a large extent size for a 40GB table.  Generally I would
recommend auto allocate and just use a large initial/next if you want
to bypass the 64KB/1MB/... extent ranges and jump to the larger
extents.  Using such a large extent size could result in nearly 300MB
being wasted from jumping above the HWM with a direct path load.

> I have been watching the v$session_longops and the message that I have been
> seeing looks something like this:
>
> Rowid Range Scan:  TABLE_NAME : 2899 out of 12647 Blocks done
>
> The table has about 5mil blocks. 12647 blocks is about one third of one
> extent. I run it with DOP=4. So it looks like the parallel slaves are
> each reading from one third of one extent at a time.

The PX granule size is 100MB, which happens to be 1/3 of the table
extent size of 300MB.  A granule is the unit of work for PX severs.

> This operation seems
> to take about 40 minutes. Extrapolating to 5mil blocks yields a
> huge number with will not be satisfactory to the application.  Why would it
> take 40 minutes to read 100M worth of data? What could
> be the bottleneck?

I would recommend that you:
1) look at the ASH report see what the session waits are or
2) look at the wait events for the PX servers in v$session and see what they are

No need to guess what the bottleneck would be when the wait interface
will tell you.

Things to consider:
- what is your MBRC?  For FTS operations like this, 1MB is ideal (8KB
block * 128 MBRC).  This should be the default if left unset.
- the speed of the filesystem you are writing to (hopefully a local FS)
- sqlplus settings (arraysize, trimspool, etc)

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn