RE: oracle/solaris 10 memory and swap

  • From: "Alvaro Jose Fernandez" <alvaro.fernandez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 15:46:12 +0200

Andrew,

>My sysadmin says 8g swap is plenty.  Before I ask him to show me his
Oracle dba credentials, can someone point me to a somewhere that has
more informatiion on this.

I runned a 9207 RAC on Solaris 9 64bits, with vxvm also and suncluster
3.0 (2-node), DISM configured and used, and have in the past problem due
to swap shortage.

Sorry I cannot tell you specifics abot Solaris 10 (for the shmmax
settings), but based on the previous experience, allocating 12 Gbyte of
swap for a 16 Gbyte node is not unreasonable at all.

If the sysadm gets picky about this, tell him to put in writing the
decision :-)

alvaro