oracle/solaris 10 memory and swap

  • From: "Andrew Kerber" <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 07:21:17 -0500

I am in a debate with our sysadmins.  We have a solaris 10 cluster, running
veritas clusterware over oracle rac 10gr2 (10.2.0.3).

Currently the cluster boxes each have 16g RAM and only 8G swap configured.
Oracle installation documentation says the swap space should be twice the
ram.  32g does seem excessive.  Looking through the oracle metalink, I found
one document that says oracle 10gr2 should have at least 12g of swap on a
16g ram server (.75 of available ram if over 8g), but the document does not
list RAC separately.

My sysadmin says 8g swap is plenty.  Before I ask him to show me his Oracle
dba credentials, can someone point me to a somewhere that has more
informatiion on this.

We are also debating the shmmax setting.  The documentation for Solaris 10
says to use an oracle project, but we dont have one set up, so we are using
the shmmax setting.  The sysadmin says he should use 0xffffffff (8f's),
which is 4g total.  However, I think he should use 0xffffffffffffffff
(16f's) on a 64 bit server w/16g ram. Any thoughts on that one?

--
Andrew W. Kerber