Re: oracle-l Digest V7 #89

  • From: Michael Fontana <michael.fontana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:41:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 6:45 AM, dba1 mcc <mccdba1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We have ORACLE 10GR2 on Linux servers.  Users are using ORACLE ODI tool to
> perform testing.  Those testing will insert 20 to 30 millions records to
> tables then it will 'delete" or "rollback" data.  Users complain "delete"
>  or "rollback" 20 to 30 millions records take long time to finish.
>
> Does there has way to improve "delete" or "rollback" performance by setup
> DB parameters like SGA, PGA, ...?
>
> Thanks.

Truncate might work if all the rows needed to be deleted by this process;
however, there's an implied commit when using that statement, effectively
ending the transaction.  This could have further implications to the "test".
DBA1 also fails to mention whether 20-30 million rows is the complete size of
the table; were it not, this is a situation crying out for partitioning.