RE: oracle workspace manager

  • From: "Tefft, Michael J" <Michael.J.Tefft@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ksmadduri@xxxxxxxxx" <ksmadduri@xxxxxxxxx>, oracle Freelists <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 12:52:46 +0000

We used Oracle Workspace Manager for a while for 'data change tracking' in our
processes but we are now using Total Recall. With the large scale of data we
were using and changing, OWM was giving us serious performance problems. In
particular, relatively-simple queries on OWM-enabled objects exploded into
execution plans that could be over 1000 steps long - when a bad plan resulted,
there was simply no way to work it.

We are having better luck with Total Recall, but our high change volume (often
over a million rows in a single transaction) has presented many performance
challenges which took time to work through. We think we are now getting
satisfactory performance.

I note that you say that the 'merge workspace' operations were a problem. This
highlights a difference in functionality: with OWM you can have 'multiple
versions of reality', including the currently-approved version and multiple
'proposed versions', which can later be merged with the true version or can be
discarded as needed. This is why OWM seems to have found its niche with city
planners and similar types. But Total Recall really does not give you that
'multiple versions of reality' capability; fortunately, we do not need that
(although it took a while to convince people of that). This is why I
characterize our use as 'data change tracking' only.

Mike Tefft
Snap-on Business Solutions