Re: oracle v SS

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 15:05:24 -0500

On 11/11/19 2:30 PM, Orlando L wrote:

In one scenario, if we do not have the option of having a remote replicated site and we have to do the backup from the PDC (primary data center), what tools do we have for a SQL server DB of that size.

You can do snapshot backup, which is the same as SRDF, by snapping the LUN(s) and then using file system copy to back it up to an offline storage like S3 or Glacier. However, I'm no big fan of Glacier. It should only be used as the storage of the last resort. AWS charges for getting data out of Glacier and getting data out of Glacier is very, very slow or even slower than that. The low price of Glacier data is achieved by using 2-pass deduplication algorithm which shrinks your data to less than 10% of its initial size, but it means that you also have to do 2 passes through the deduplication DB to get the data out.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant