oracle text

  • From: Veres Lajos <vlajos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 15:43:45 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I have a table with 2 text columns (varchar2(80),varchar2(4000)) and about 10 numeric colums (and some unreleated to this post).
version 10.1.0.4, linux 2.4

Our users can search with the most of combinations of text and numeric rows.

I checked Oracle Text, and I have some questions.

1.
There is 2 text columns, sometimes I search only from the first. (title and body are this columns), and sometimes from all the two.
I should set up 2 index? Or I can use multicolumn or other datastore to sometimes search from the first field and sometimes from all the two?
Which will be faster?
Or exists any best practice?
Maybe section grouping or similar can help?

2.
The second column (body) can contain html, but not really sure that this html is correct. (users can fill this fields)
And I wont search for the html entries.
Can I set up filtering to filter out HTML entries?
As I seen INSO filter skips filtering html.

3. Context index vs ctxcat
Manual says i should create a ctxcat index with all available combinations of queried fields.
But there is too much.
Our search form allows our users to create all combinations of queries for this 2+10 fields.

4. filtering, searching
Most queries should be faster if "contains" operator filters only the result.
We have queries like:
where contains(field,'searchstring')>0 and id1 IN (1,2,3) and id2 in (3,4) and id3=5

I think the query should be faster if at first oracle collects data with indexes from the table, and later filters only for searchstring.
id{1-10} fields are mostly indexed.
(top used, and some top used combinations at least)

Optimizer can guess similar things? Or It will start gather data everytime with contains and filter later?

Today I found this:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/sample_code/products/text/htdocs/concatenated_text_datastore/cdstore_readme.html
This concatenated datastore seems to be an other solution to the same problem.
Have you any experience with this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--