Re: oracle support response time

  • From: japplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 14:38:38 -0500

I feel for all y'all who are suffering from Oracle's slow Support.  I have
come to realize how lucky we are here at AISD in this regard.  All of our
major Apps are 3rd Party COTS and they're usually slow to go to the next
Oracle version.  Therefore, we're always way "behind the curve" with
Oracle releases.  Our Finance/HR app is still on 9i.  All of our other 30
or so DBs are 10g 10.2.0.4.  That has turned out to be an advantage.

In the eight years I've been here, I've only had one database recovery
issue that I needed Support and that was about seven years ago.  Every
other issue we've belatedly come across has already been solved and a
search of MetaLink or MOS provided the answer.

So, if you possibly can, I highly recommend avoiding the "bleeding edge"
like the plague.  We're not planning on going to 11g, even if our vendors
support it, until maybe 11.2.0.3 or .4.

The "trailing edge" is sweet.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

From:   Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx
Cc:     aachleon@xxxxxxxxx, oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx, ORACLE-L
<oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   04/19/2010 02:25 PM
Subject:        Re: oracle support response time
Sent by:        oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a high priority issue and cannot open an SR, I keep getting an
error. And I cannot use the 'contact us' link either since it is, in fact,
an SR.

MOS definitely sucks, and support level has fallen seriously since two
years ago.

I will have to call in the SR, which is a haggle and then I'll have to
upload the files to the FTP and it's been ages since I did that...

anyway... just needed to vent a little.
Alan.-

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Bill Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It's too bad they don't have somebody you can complain to that
actually cares. Those "How did we do?" surveys are pretty useless in
my opinion, I don't think anybody looks at those except for the total
of the numbers each month.

--
-- Bill Ferguson