Re: oracle redhat 5 certification?

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 14:14:05 -0400

On 04/04/2007 12:49:00 PM, ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I checked the certification matrix on metalink and Redhat 5 is not on it. Its
> been out for a couple of months. Out sys admin wants us to move to it. does
> anyone know how long it takes oracle to certify with a new version of linux?
>
> also, will oracle stop certifiying new versions of redhat and try to force us
> to use their flavor of linux?

Ryan, I doubt that Oracle will stop certifying Red Hat, it would be a business
suicide. As for certifying RH5, it's not that simple. RH5 has a fundamentally
different threads mechanism then RH EL 4.0. EL 5.0 does not support Linux
Threads,
it now supports only native Posix threads for Linux (NPTL). Also tricks like
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL will no longer work with RH 5.0. In all likelihood, Oracle will
have to produce a new distribution which can be expected with the next patchset.
In order to support it, they have to regression-test it. If the regression test
fails, they have to adjust things. So called "enterprise" OS is not the same
thing as my FC6 that I use for fooling around, testing must be much more
rigorous.
If you install Oracle 10.2.0.3 on RH 5.0, it will work but you will not be able
to get support for it. I can tell you that it does work and I haven't seen any
major problems with that.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mladen-gogala.com