RE: oracle linux

  • From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 08:48:15 -0700

Niall,

>My pet gripe is that - probably because everyone in that environment
>learns to code for MSSQL - developers don't have a clue about bind
>variable usage. I believe that this is common in the brave new Java
>world as well.

I believe MS SQL does promote the use of bind variables (see below), but the
(majority of) DUHlevopers seem to choose not to use it (and we have seen
that happen in Oracle as well, haven't we?!)

---- Quote from SS2K Books online from "Parameters and Execution Plan Reuse"
---

* ADO, OLE DB, and ODBC use parameter markers. Parameter markers are
question marks (?) that replace a constant in an SQL statement and are bound
to a program variable. For example, in an ODBC application:
Use SQLBindParameter to bind an integer variable to the first parameter
marker in an SQL statement.

* Place the integer value in the variable.

* Execute the statement, specifying the parameter marker (?):
SQLExecDirect(hstmt,
  "SELECT * FROM Northwind.dbo.Products WHERE CategoryID = ?",
  SQL_NTS);

The Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server and the SQL Server ODBC driver
that are included with SQL Server 2000 use sp_executesql to send statements
to SQL Server 2000 when parameter markers are used in applications.

---- End quote ----

If anyone is wondering, I (still!) haven't crossed over to the 'dark side'
(i.e. SS2K) - just completed an intense 3 day DBA course on SS2K.

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Grace - Getting something we do NOT deserve
Mercy - NOT getting something we DO deserve
Click on 'http://www.needhim.org' for Grace and Mercy that is freely
available!

** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do
not reflect those of my employer or customers **