RE: oracle linux

  • From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:13:17 -0500

Jared
   I think we are in agreement. A multi-platform vendor like Oracle always
faces hard decisions of when to make their product look the same across all
platforms and when to  use special features of a particular platform. We
have all probably been the victim of bad decisions on both scores.
   Myself, I just like the idea that both vendors might talk. I have some
developers that insist on accessing Oracle through .NOT. There is very
little documentation from either Oracle or Microsoft. Especially when it
comes to writing .NOT programs that don't pull the entire Oracle table
across the network (which is the default, near as I can tell).
   As far as getting all Oracle developers to become real Microsoft heads,
that might not be feasible or desirable. Maybe we could hope the few Oracle
developers that write code that interfaces the O.S. could become more
knowledgeable in both worlds.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.