Re: oracle equivalent of teradata's sparse index

  • From: Marcin Przepiorowski <pioro1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 10:54:52 +0100

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM, dd yakkali <dd.yakkali@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> hello dbas,
>>
>> Some one asked me that teradata can create index for only a subset of rows
>> of a table. We have a huge table (5 billion) which is for few months of data
>> but the data for most part is accessed for yesterday. So the question is: is
>> there any way to create index only for yesterday.
>
> Sounds like a job for partitioning.
>
> Jared Still

Hello Deen,

First question is why you want to index only last day ?
You are worry about index size or performance ?
If you use partitions for table and index Oracle optimizer can use it
and only last day (partition) will be accessed.
If you worry about size you can use compression and do some work with
block level storage parameters in manual managed tablespace.

--
Marcin Przepiorowski
http://oracleprof.blogspot.com