Re: oracle dev and policies towards fixing bugs

  • From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 12:42:41 -0700 (PDT)

Charles:

# I am trying to figure out if my expectations are way too high, or if the
state of development in general has simply gone astray.

Unfortunately almost all of us have been frustrated with oracle support in the
last 10 years.

If I understand you correctly you ... you are trying to get oracle to fix a
spelling error?  Calling that a bug and wanting a fix in your current
environment does seem a little ... pushy ... to me anyhow.

My most recent ( and still open SR ) concerns a fix that I discovered needed to
be applied to fix PGA memory leak / ORA 4030 for customers using text indexes.
( Bug being fixed is 14367567 ).

Running a system just cutover on 11.2.0.3.5 and ran into this bug discovered
and fixed by Oracle apparently in August 2012.  However the bug/fix has up to
now not been included in many of the subsequent PSUs.

Oracle has some strange and arcane methodology on how they rate the
severity/impact/criticality of bugs they admit to and fix.  One can attempt to
question why some bugs are categorized and perhaps at times get them to re
classify but ... easy to get frustrated in this unlit corridor.

That leaves most of us open to discovering problems in our production systems
that have already been discovered elsewhere ( and fixed by oracle ) that are
not yet "ready for prime time" because of how they have been categorized or the
amount of time and effort that oracle support guesses might be necessary to see
if the fix interferes with oracle "more important" fixes.

Yes many of us are used to the "it will be included in the next release" or
next patchset ... ( but not PSU ) ... but not happy about the situation.

Does that help you understand Charles?