oracle database running on NAS through iscsi

  • From: Betsy Ward <wardbe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:05:26 -0400

Does anyone on this list have their Oracle databases sitting on a NAS that runs through ISCSI? If yes, I'm curious as to the performance you are experiencing with it and whether you can share that with me possibly how you tuned your database to work on such a setup?

We are running Oracle 11g db servers on Red Hat 5.3 connected to a Sun X4540 "Thor" running nexenta. We moved to this configuration about a year ago and performance has not been good. The X4540 also has our email servers storage on it, so when they tuned it they tuned it for write times to be fast, not reads.

But I'm wondering if there are things I can do from the database side to be able to speed up the performance because of the slowness on the hardware side, or if the sysadmin just needs to get the thing tuned well for reads so that Oracle is happy?

TIA,

Betsy Ward
Database Administrator
Earlham College, Drawer 14