Re: oracle account in /etc/passwd

  • From: David Lord <dlordster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: joe_dba@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 18:13:11 +0000

If it is NIS (which I suspect it is), you can see a list of maps with 'ypwhich -m' and cat the passwd or group map with ypcat -k <map_name>: e.g. ypcat -k group or ypcat -k group.byname (sorry, I don't have solaris to hand to confirm).

Regards
David Lord

On 9 Rhag 2008, at 17:15, Joe Smith wrote:

I am having trouble getting my scripts to login and run against a 10g database on solaris 8.

I can login from the cmd prompt as sysdba all day long.

this is the only entry in /etc/passwd that refers to oracle:

(oracle) $ more /etc/passwd
+oracle:x:::::

In /etc/group I see no entries for dba and oinstall. Oracle and oinstall are the software installers and owners.

Again I can login to sql*plus as sysdba with no problem.

What does the +oracle  entry mean in /etc/passwd?

Is it authenticating from some other mechanism?

thanks.

You live life online. So we put Windows on the web. Learn more about Windows Live