RE: oracle 8I performanance testing

  • From: Robyn <robyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:50:43 -0400 (EDT)

Prakash,

It will be well worth the read.  I've been using Cary's approach to
identifying the bottlenecks on various systems and have had amazingly good
results.  I've see runtimes drop from hours to minutes on specific jobs,
plus there's frequently a domino effect:  fix the longest running jobs,
and the others improve as well.

However, by far the best benefit has been having the documentation to back
up performance recommendations.  It's much easier to garner support when
you've got the numbers to backup your position and that's tough to do if
you're just playing with parameters.

Robyn

The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One.
'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. - Linus Torvalds

 From: "Cary Millsap"

Prakash,

It's a pretty long story. Start by visiting
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/optoraclep/index.html. There you can read
Chapter 1 an excerpt from Chapter 12, free of charge.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *